Jordan

Starting situation

Oil and natural gas cover more than 98% of the primary energy demand of the country, while the remaining 2% is covered by hydropower. More than 95% of the primary energy carriers are imported.

The construction sector in Jordan accounts for 39% of total final energy consumption, and the country has seen significant growth in the buildings sector during the past decades. Energy efficiency measures, however, have only played a subordinate role regarding the technical fit-out of a building. Most building planners do not count climate-optimized construction as a key criterion in the design of a building. Moreover, and to achieve a high level of comfort in the residential sector, technologies with high energy consumption are increasingly used. As a result, the demand for energy imports is increasing, which puts a lot of pressure on the Jordanian economy.

Pilot projects

Options for Premier Villas (Aqaba)

Premier Villas
The NRECJ conceived a master plan in north of Aqaba (North project), which consists of variety residential building types (Villas, Duplexes and Multifamily houses). The analysis looked in-depth into the building type: premier villa, but take into account the replicability of the recommended measures to be rolled out also to the other building types of the master plan.
Download

Ea´tedal complex (Zarqa)

Eatedal Complex
The Al-Urwa Al-Whatqa Charity Association developed the Ea’tedal complex (Multi-family house and Mosque) in Zarqa, Jordan. The project serves as a home for orphans and widows and is currently under construction.
Download

This project is part of the International Climate Initiative. The Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU) supports this initiative on the basis of a decision taken by the German parliament (Bundestag).

© buildings-mena.com 2018. All Rights Reserved.